19 September 2011

ON and ON and ON and ON

Missed dance class today. Feeling so tired and my stomach feels nauseated. Must be stress. This week is going to be a busy one. Lots to do. I am excited for it. There's less than five days left until the Light the Night walk and there is still SO MUCH to do! But I am confident that it will get done. Well most of it. It's the matter of raising $100,000 by Saturday that worries me. People just seem to lack the passion and initiative. Few people are willing to donate. I'm so grateful for those that do. But from what I've seen in the past month, there are many people who just can't be bothered. I mean, I'm not expecting people to give me all they've got but heck $5 or $10 can and does make such a huge difference. It's like some of my friends have been saying, give up stopping for your morning coffee for just one day and donate that. You never know when you may need the services of a charity like the LLS. My hope is that one day no one does. But right now, there are so many people that do and sadly, when funding is low there isn't much that can be done. That's where our own budget gets in the way. I say "our" because I feel like I am a part of the LLS. The work that they do is crucial to patient care and research. That's why I get so passionate about my team's fundraising goal. Anyone who has been touched by cancer whether it be a blood cancer, breast cancer, skin cancer or one of the hundreds of other types out there, knows what research and patient services can do in terms of their care or the care of their loved ones. 


Okay, okay, okay. I'll try to refrain from too much preaching in that topic.


On a happier and more positive note, CLUB BELLY DANCE is on Thursday and I am SO FREAKIN' EXCITED for that! The Belly Dance Superstars plus many fabulous dancers from Edmonton? Yeah, it's going to be a great night. And, in April the Fat Chance Belly Dance Workshop is coming to Edmonton! AHHHH! Sandi Ball of FCBD teaching us dancers a crap load of stuff AND there's a performance? Eeeeeek! CANNOT wait! I am totally addicted to ATS belly dance and all forms of belly dance itself. It's a complete expression of sensuality, vitality, passion, fun and womanhood. I am so glad that I was introduced to it 5 years ago and re-introduced to it last year. It makes me forget my stressors, have fun, and accept myself for everything that I am. Dance really is an expression of the soul. Like Mia Michaels says "If your soul dances, your body follows." It's so true. Even if you're not perfect all the time, if your passionate and love what you are doing, then that is all that matters. Whether you have an audience or not, your free your soul and that is felt all around. 


I've always had issues with my body. It's always been bigger that most girls and it's also prevented me from doing many things. Not because I couldn't physically, but because emotionally I let my size get in the way. Weight and looks are always issues in the forefront of girls' minds. It shouldn't be this way. For me, it's been a lifelong battle. Still is. I'm not fishing for compliments or an ego boost. For the most part, I've come to grow to like my looks and even though I am still working on improving my body, my body image is A LOT healthier. I credit this in part to belly dance. Age plays a factor as I get older, I get more secure and confident, but belly dance has really showed me that I am more than what I look like. With this type of dance, all shapes, sizes and ages are accepted. There is no judgement.


  "Imagine this: there was a time in history, a long time ago, when the bounce and sway of a woman’s hips was considered so beautiful that they set it to music and made a dance out of it..." ~ Carolena Nericcio.


It's so true. The movements that are learned have been passed down throughout generations of women. It's empowering, liberating, and freeing. Dancing frees you from time, space, and thoughts. The movements once learned become extensions of the soul. Performing them opens you up to new ways of thinking. Feeling. 


"Belly dance is my soul food. It is my passion. It expresses feminine beauty; it is nurturing, exhilarating, and sharing that special magic of the dance. It is the joy of seeing so many women blossom as the dance embraces them and transports them to their special places." ~ Daphné


Well, I may not have made it to my special place tonight, but I carry it with me always. My passion. My love. My dance.

1 comment:

  1. There is so much passion in your words. You are on FIRE!! I am overjoyed that I read your blog. I am going to spread this around. Every woman should for one moment - feel this kind of "freedom" that you feel when you dance.
    ~ Marcy

    ReplyDelete